Monday, May 17, 2010

Pedal, Pedal, Pedal

Several weeks ago John and I went out biking in the area. We talked about our dreams of biking the Midwest and how everything was coming together. One of the first things we talked about was "what are we going to name our blog". After several suggestions and discussions we decided that it had to be called "Pedal, Pedal, Pedal". Here is the reason why.

John and I are blessed to have 7 wonderful grandchildren. Of the 7 the last two are boys (Hayden and Wyatt). When Wyatt was almost 2 and Hayden 3 years old I was asked to pick them up at the babysitter and take them to our home for a couple of hours. So after work I drove out to the sitter's and got the boys buckled in the backseat and we headed to our house. On the way one of the boy's was irritable and crying and so to distract them I told them that they were going to have to help grandma by pedaling with their feet up each hill that we came to. So here the two boys are in the back seat of my car and as we came to a little hill I would say "Okay, boys now pedal, pedal, pedal". Keep pedaling we are almost to the top and then when we got to the top I told them "great job - we made it". Finally we got to Gibson hill, which is quite steep, and I told them to get ready and start pedaling with their feet to help get us up the hill. I glanced in the back seat and the boys were just a pedaling with their little feet.

A few weeks later I was asked to pick the boy's up from the babysitter and take them to our house again. The boys were all quiet in the car and we were driving home and we get to Gibson hill and I glance in the back seat at the boys and Hayden's little feet are just a pedaling and he is saying "pedal, pedal, pedal". Without my reminding them he automatically started pedaling to help us up the hill.

So that is why we have named this blog "Pedal, Pedal, Pedal". I am sure that there will be many times during this adventure that one of us will say to each other "Pedal, Pedal, Pedal.

No comments:

Post a Comment