Saturday, July 24, 2010

Ashton, Idaho to Jackson, WY, Grand Teton's, Yellowstone, Cody, WY to Greybull, WY - Friday, July 23rd, 2010

John and I talked about our drive on the west side of the Grand Teton's range and decided it just didn't do it justice so we back tracked thru Driggs to Jackson, WY via the 8,429ft Teton Pass. What a beautiful drive - 10% grade going down into Jackson. Now keep in mind we are in our pickup truck. We would have loved to turn the Screamer loose on that downhill grade but being that our drum brake broke while we were biking in the Cascade Mountains we left the Screamer on the back of the pick up truck.

We stopped at Albertson's grocery store in Jackson and picked up a breakfast/lunch picnic fixing and went to a park just outside of Jackson to eat. What a beautiful view of the land surrounding Jackson. From there we entered into the Grand Teton National Park (once again thank you to WTS for the park pass - we have made very good use of it). We stopped at the visitor center and watched a film and walked around the displays. Once we got back out to the truck we drove about 2 miles and we both decided that we had to stop the truck, unload the bike and pedal, pedal, pedal. There is a paved bike trail from Jackson to Jenny Lake that is absolutely beautiful and mountains in every direction including the Tetons to the west and the Rocky Mountains to the east. This is an amazing park and we definitely want to come back here - this is also a national Elk refuge but we didn't see any of them but we did see a prong horn which we ended racing along the trail with for 2-1/2 miles.

We only put on 10 miles due to our front rim being cracked but it was so pretty. After that we loaded up the bike and headed to Yellowstone to stop and see Old Faithful erupt at about 4:45PM. We still had a long way to drive because we were going to go to Cody, Wyoming and spend the evening. About half way thru the park we encountered a buffalo and Kathi was all excited and took a number of pictures of that one buffalo. As we were driving along there were a number of cars stopped in the road a head of us and slowly moving forward. When we got up closer here was a entire herd of 300 or more buffalo that were on the side of the road, some on the road and winding between the vehicles. It is really something to be sitting in a little pick up truck and have one of those big old buffalo's wander across the road in front of it and dare you to move.

What a great day of siteseeing - yes, it is another wonderful day however, we have a number of miles to make and we were just leaving Yellowstone at about 7:30PM and we wanted to drive to Cody. Upon arriving in Cody we saw that the Rodeo was going on and there were a lot of vehicles which means we are going to have trouble finding a reasonable hotel. Yep that is right, we stopped at 4 or 5 different hotels and if they did have a room they wanted an arm and a leg for it so we decided to drive another 50 miles to Greybull where we finally got a hotel at 11:00PM for $84.00. Oh well, just another day in the life of John and Kathi.

Happy trails!

1 comment:

  1. Earl and Chris Finkler who were at one time from Barrow, Alaska met you folks and told me about your blog. Gotta love that Screamer! What a great way to tour! We have a Double Vision that we've ridden across Florida twice, had to Hawaii many times and several other adventures. One of the things I love to do is introduce novice folks to recumbents using the back seat of our DV! I've done that with over 4,000 people! Jim Vorderstrasse, Anchorage/Barrow